Thursday, October 26, 2023

 DHS connection to THE CHUKKER NATION


I'll be the stand-in for a deceased CHUKKERITE tomorrow for the photo shoot reenactment of the image that produced this Chukker mural. I'll be CHUCK, the fourth guy, the one next to the last on the right. He was one of the first two people I met in Tuscaloosa and he got me hip to the Chukker in the fall of '68.

The story of EAT CORNBREAD RAISE HELL...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVa4HRC8hEM

"EAT CORNBREAD, RAISE HELL" was a piece of graffiti I put up in the Chukker Mens Room & I'm pretty sure my late wife, Sharon, put on the wall of the Ladies Room in about '88 or '89 back when Bruce Hopper owned it. I'd missed my 20th DOTHAN HIGH CLASS OF '68 Reunion but I'd immersed myself in '68 nostalgia. ECRH was a take off on our Sr. '68 motto "RAISE HELL, GO NAKED". . In our 1968 GARGOYLE (Dothan High yearbook) we didn't want to write RAISE HELL GO NAKED because we were afraid the teachers would take up our yearbooks for writing "dirty" words so we abbreviated it to RHGN. An example of a '68 GARGOYLE yearbook autograph are the next two images. You can also see the 1968 version of the DHS Class of '69: "Sex, women and wine. We're Seniors '69!" By the time 1969 rolled around it had changed to WEED, WOMEN AND WINE. We're Seniors '69." The "Cornbread" thing came because my son had been born in the summer of '88, I was broke, couldn't go to my class reunion and cornbread had become a part of our little household again. Before I settled down in '88, I'd spent three years on the road eating what I could find so I was happy to have a settled homelife and to get back to eating cornbread and garden vegetables.  BAMA MAMMOTHShttp://www.flickr.com/photos/kathycha/sets/72157594535571131/



No comments:

Post a Comment