Sunday, May 5, 2024

DEVIL  MAKE A THIRD 
 
 The legacy of slavery is mentioned only once and that is part of an elaborate rationalization concerning his rich former father-in-law which Buck creates to justify his own greed, "I got no guilty feelings. Maybe I've squeezed a mortgage too close and maybe I've shaved off a little for myself when I bought for the city. Folks forget anyhow. They've forgot how old Longshore's folks trafficked in slaves so they could raise him in a big white house in the middle of ten thousand acres of sandy loam. Maybe forty-fifty years from now, some Bannon'll be oozin' religion at the church door and folks won't remember that Buck turned his eyes off while his hands gathered a crop they didn't make."


from the March 7, 1916 DOTHAN EAGLE


from the April 4, 1911 DOTHAN EAGLE


















 

HELL IN AVEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment